Sunday 10 January 2016

Settling in and catching up

Since my previous post, I've arrived in London and spent two nights here. "You're going to have to be a bit more specific than that." I hear you say, and I agree. Which is why I've written what you're about to read.

Whizzing through the air like it's nothing. What a bellend!

Arrived at the airport on time, accompanied by mum and dad. The lady at the check-in desk was really cool. Way cooler than I'm used to them being, as a matter of fact. Just epitomising that Rogaland charm that girls from my region seem to have. She also had really nice long hair. What a dreamy gal...

The flight went well:

Goodbye, Sandnes!

Hello, posh brunch from British Airways...

Ambivalent captain. Or just a holding pattern.

London appears.

There it is.

I usually travel light, so this is a bit of an embarrassing photo for me: Four items of baggage, plus a carrier bag! Even more embarrassing is the fact that it's all colour-coordinated. You people are going to think I did this all on purpouse...

I caught the Heathrow express to Paddington, and from there caught a cab to an old friend of the family who lives near Clapham Common. The cabbie was really cool with a proper saaarf lahndun accent, as you'd expect. I later went out for a wander around Clapham Common and up/down the high street, where I had my first cheeky nando's (wahey!) before returning and turning in for the night.

Yesterday, Saturday, I started off by catching some cross-country and biathlon streams (you can take the Norwegian out of Norway etc.) and buying a power adaptor in the high street because I'm an idiot and forgot that sort of thing at home, before heading over to Alexander Fleming Hall (a short walk from Old Street on the northern line) to check into my accomodation at 14:00. Long story short, I did that, and then went out with a large group of co-residents to check out the local Argos. It was pretty full, and with our arrival it became bursting with people looking to buy pillows and duvets (including myself). I allied myself with a group of Americans and some Australians who said "sod it" and took the tube to Primark instead. I tossed my newly acquired stuff into my room and immediately went out for something to eat:

Seven quid for a large chicken kebab and a coke. I could, but really shouldn't, get used to this...

I returned to Clapham for the night, and came back to Hoxton (which is here) today (Sunday) with all my stuff courtesy of the woman of the house and her Fiat 500. Here follows a few photos of the area in which I'm currently living.

My front door is just behind the two pedestrians, on Pitfield Street.

Looking back at the front door, going up one flight of stairs.

That's my door; A07.5

My bed.

My sink.

My desk and some stuff.
Those of you with a keen eye for detail will notice the distinct lack of mess in my room. This is because I've managed to unpack and stow away everything in one go. I even had a most useful visit to Oxford Circus where I managed to find a place with office supplies, to get a little head start on the inevitable paperwork coming my way.

That's it for now.

Send all post, love letters and money to:

Esben Tipple
A07-5 Alexander Fleming Halls of Residence
University of Westminster
3 Hoxton Market
London N1 6HG

1 comment:

  1. Don't be too embarrassed about the amount of luggage to took with you. After all, you are going to be away for 6 months.

    ReplyDelete